Ice Cream with Future Fresh Genovese Basil
- 2 c. half and half
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 1/2 c. whole milk
- FUTURE FRSH GENOVESE BASIL
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- dash of sea salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a blender, puree milk and basil leaves.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine milk puree, half and half, heavy cream, 1 cup of sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine. Give it a little taste to make sure you have enough salt.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks and 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Over medium-high heat, heat milk mixture until sugar dissolves and begins to simmer. Slowly pour about one cup of the simmering milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly to temper the eggs (a.k.a. cook the eggs without scrambling them). Add egg mixture to saucepan, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Turn heat off. Add vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture in a large bowl. Cover and place in fridge to cool, about 3 hours. To speed up the cooling process, place bowl in an ice bath in the fridge, or place in the freezer sans ice bath.
- Once mixture is cold, make ice cream according to your machine’s instructions.
- Serve with a lemon wafer cookie (purchase at Whole Foods) and a sprig of basil if you wish.
Recipe by The Faux Martha