FOR THE SALAD
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or cilantro (or a combination), plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons finely minced shallots, from one large shallot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Future Fresh Spearmint1 cup Future Fresh Savoy Spinach
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 3 tablespoons lemon juice, from one large lemon
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, from one large orange
- 1-1/2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl (large enough to mix the entire salad), whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing.
- To the dressing, add all of the ingredients for the salad and toss well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to a few hours. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary (you might need more salt, lemon or honey, depending on the sweetness of the carrots).
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with more fresh chopped herbs. Serve cold.
Photo by Juana Yupangco