- "FOR TWO" FUTURE FRESH SAVORY SPINACH
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella (60g) -or a combo of parmesan and mozzarella
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or fresh herb of your choice (optional but recommended!)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup gluten-free panko crumbs (75 g)
- Preheat oven to 370 F (200 C).
- Trim and wash the fresh spinach leaves.
- Place the leaves in a large mixing bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover the bowl with a lid and set aside for 3 minutes.
- Rinse the spinach with cold tap water. Drain and using your hands to squeeze all the remaining water. You should measure 2/3 cup (160 g) of packed cooked spinach leaves. If you are using frozen spinach, defrost and measure this quantity.
- Place on a chopping board and finely chop the cooked spinach. Transfer into a mixing bowl.
- Add beaten eggs, grated cheese, fresh herbs, salt, garlic powder, almond flour and psyllium husk (or panko gluten-free crumbs if you are making the original recipe). You can also add salt and pepper if your cheese is not very salty. I did not add salt.
- Combine with a spoon until it forms a batter from which you are able to form balls.
- If too moist add slightly more almond flour or crumb until easy to roll like a ball with your hands.
- Place the balls on a non-stick cookie tray covered with baking paper leaving half thumb between each bite. You should be able to make 22 spinach balls, one ball is about 1 tablespoon of batter.
- Bake at 370F (200C) for 20-30 minutes or until golden on the top.
- Serve immediately with dips like sugar-free tomato sauce, guacamole, mustard or tzatziki.
Recipe by SWEET AS HONEY